Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Never go to bed angry

Research has shown that going to sleep depending on emotional stages does cause changes of the sleeping ways. Experimenting with 100 odd people by showing them pictures be it neutral, negative or positive. Around 12 hours later, or the next morning, they see the difference between with a positive emotion to neutral and negative to measure their brain activity by looking at the rapid eye movement. Or when they sleep, it shows that the brain, due to the emotional state, brings out memories or experiences that have been preserved of the same emotion in a dream. So they say sleeping when you are angry is one reason why many people having restless nights, or sleepless nights. Adding to that, sleep also increases the emotional state of memories.

Reading this, I realize that there are time when I fall asleep angry or with a negative mood, I don't usually sleep as well as I would. For me, sleeping is something I love to do, so if I am going to be angry when I am about to sleep, I usually start to think of something positive to change my mind. I would never really think that due to the happens of my emotions, my brain would bring out memories of which resemble my emotions when I went to sleep. I always thought that it is what you think about last is what causes your dreams to come out as what they are. Well I guess that was the same thing. But if my negative emotion before going to bed is going to give a restless night, then I guess now I would be trying to sleep in a positive emotion.

Vocab:
Adage
a) a short statement expressing a general truth
b.i) "Regardless of its origin, the adage has been scarcely researched."
ii) origin Latin
c) When told the adage, Missy went into depression, although was happy that she knew the truth.

Traumatic
a) an emotionally disturbed
b.i) "--for instance, after seeing an unsettling image of an accident or traumatic scene."
ii) origin UK
c) Although been through a traumatic scene, Missy decided to start fresh and try to keep aside the recent happenings.

3 comments:

Iqbal Fayza said...

Date of publish: Jan 30th 2012
Author of article: Anahad O'Conner

TdS0307 said...

Wow, I never knew this! I mean, going to bed angry may result in sleepless nights, but that has stopped happening to me. I think I have learnt to cope with going to bed angry and forgetting about it completely the next morning. :p

Greanlord said...

I think going to bed angry makes me more tired so I sleep better. When I'm angry, I usually think about a lot of things so that would make me get lost in my thoughts and fall asleep thinking about those things, dreaming about them and wake up, feeling extremely tired.